The Summer and Afterschool Needs Assessment draws from the best evidence on what it takes to plan high-quality and afterschool programs, and provides you with:
- Review Areas of Assessment and Success Criteria prior to completing the needs assessment
- Access to targeted resources and experts in your area
- Bonus! You'll even get a 30-minute web consultation with an Engage Every Student national partner, who can further connect you to leaders and opportunities within your area.
- Review comprehensive instructions for program leaders and system/capacity builders for using the Needs Assessment
- Program Design and Planning
- Program Operations
- Student, Identification, Recruitment, and Attendance
- Family Outreach and Engagement
- Academic Instruction and Curriculum
- Enrichment Planning and Instruction
- Professional Development
- Health, Wellness, and Outdoor Learning
- Climate and Culture
- Social-Emotional Learning
- Budget and Financial Planning
- Program Assessment and Evaluation
- Building Broad Support and Sustainability Needs Assessment
- Tutoring and Homework Help
- Access the Needs Assessment tool
- Complete the needs assessment, which will take approximately 5–10 minutes.
Choose the self-assessment planning areas you want to explore. The total time it takes to complete will be based on the number of planning categories you'd like to explore.
For example: One of the planning areas that will be presented to you is "Family Outreach and Engagement." Within the "Family Outreach and Engagement" section, you will be asked to rank your organization's method for each assessment area component from "not at all" to "definitely."
The assessment areas include:
- Considering families as primary stakeholders in the program and providing opportunities for their participation
- Staff making efforts to get to know family members to make them feel part of the program
- Offering orientation sessions for new families
- Encouraging families to give input and get involved in program events
- Using formal and informal communication to connect to the families being served
- Offering enjoyable learning experiences where the whole family can learn together
- Providing positive communication to families about their youth's participation and progress
- Staff and families working together as a team to set goals for each young person, and sharing information about how to support youth's development
- Providing information about community resources to meet the needs of youth and their families
- Once you have completed the self-assessment, you will receive a copy by email for your own review and records.
- In the same email, you will receive a link to set up a 30-minute web consultation with an Engage Every Student Partner, who can provide additional customized guidance and support.
- The email will also include a link to the Summer and Afterschool Resource Map, which provides information on available experts and resources that may support your work. The map is designed to be aligned with the assessment areas.